Seven more kidnapped passengers of the March 28 train attack in Kaduna state have regained their freedom.
The victims were released on Wednesday morning after spending 135 days in the custody of the terrorists.
It is however not clear if any ransom was paid to the terrorists for their release.
Although the police authorities are yet to confirm the development, a member of the negotiating team, Tukur Mamu told Channels Television that six of the released hostages are members of the same family, which include a couple and their four children.
The father of the four kids, Abubakar, is the son of a former Military Administrator of Kano and Benue States, to Mamu, Major General Chris Garba, and also a staff of the National Assembly Commission.
The terrorists also released a 60-year-old woman, Hajia Aisha Hassan who was said to have been freed due to life-threatening health challenges that deteriorated recently.
The names of the six family members that were released are Abubakar Idris Garba who is the father of the four kids, his wife Maryama Abubakar Bobbo, and their eldest son, Ibrahim Abubakar Garba who is 10 years old.
Others include Fatima Abubakar Garba, 7 years, Imran Abubakar Garba, 5 years old, and youngest Zainab Abubakar Garba who is only one and half years.
So far, 42 victims have regained their freedom. The number of those still in captivity now stands at 35.
Gunmen had on March 28 blown up the rail track, killing some and abducting scores of passengers, a situation that called for serious concern about the safety of the nation’s trains.
Wednesday’s release is coming a few days after five other victims the abducted Kaduna-bound train was freed by the terrorists.
The victims freed are Professor Mustapha Umar Imam, who is a medical doctor at Usman Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Akibu Lawal, Abubakar Ahmed Rufai Mukthar Shu’aibu, and Sidi Aminu Sharif.
They secured their freedom on August 2, bringing succour to their respective families.
Channels Television gathered that they were released by the terrorists at a location inside the forest along the Kaduna – Abuja highway. From there, they were picked up by their relatives.
Worried about the situation, the Nigeria Railway Corporation temporarily suspended activities, with President Muhammadu Buhari directing security agencies to rescue the victims.