By Fortune Abang
Abuja, Sept. 16, 2020 Nigeria’s Consul-General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, says Nigeria mission is working closely with the South Africa government to address social media campaign calls for protest against Nigerians.
Adama disclosed this in a telephone interview with Newsmen on Wednesday.
He was reacting to a recent purported social media campaign by South Africans calling for protest against Nigerians in that country.
The campaign call for the proposed protest, posted on Twitter by some South Africans is scheduled to hold on Sept. 23 in South Africa.
He said there had been no attacks so far against Nigerians and the Nigeria’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Mr Kabiru Bala was working closely with the South Africa government to resolve the matter.
“There was no attack at all, it is only social media campaigns and notice or call for protest.
“We are only working to discourage it and protect Nigerians; so far Nigeria’s High Commissioner is engaging the host authorities.
“He is also working together with us to prevent any untoward protest to the mission that can ignite any trouble, so far, the area is calm and quiet, no attacks against Nigerians at all.
“These are all the social media campaigns not on mainstream media, no attacks other than this campaign now.
“The missions are collaborating with the Nigerian Citizens Association in South Africa (NICASA), and host governments to ensure safety of Nigerians,” he said.