The importance of blood donation is underestimated, even there is need for compulsory donation some people still find it difficult to do so giving funny excuses such as, am not fat hence to blood in my body, some just conclude they do not have adequate blood without knowing their pcv level.
Coming across a group of pregnant women discussing opened my to the level of ignorance . At that particular government hospital it is requested that you most bring at least one person to donate blood for you just in case there is need for blood transfusion after delivery despiteam some husbands and family members knowing there could actually be need for blood transfusion they are not just interested in donating for reasons I find extremely annoying, a woman said her mother-in-law once told about the blood donation just kept screaming we will not need blood by the grace of God hence she is not donating.
For people that are also I this category of not wanting to donate voluntarily there could be a time your loved one’s or even you could be the one in need of blood, money might be available but your blood type might not be, so before you ignore the next blood donation call or any SAVAN bus you see pleading for you to donate just think about it ” IT FIT BE YOU OOO” , tomorrow could be your turn and just maybe the people around you will feel they also do not have enough blood to donate .
BENEFITS OF BLOOD DONATION
1. Keeping the liver and heart healthy: just as iron is important in our body having it in excess could lead to another problem. When the body uses sufficient amount of iron, the excess iron substance is deposited in the heart, liver and pancreas and this have made liver and heart problem a trending problem. Continuous blood donation help to maximise the level of iron in the blood thereby keeping our liver and heart healthy.
2. Restoration of blood cells: After donating blood, regeneration of blood process starts within 24 to 48 hours, list volume will regenerate( depending on fluid intake), this process takes place in the bone marrow with the newly generated blood cells, an individual’s energy levels and activity goes up, the body stays healthy and work more efficiently.
3. Weight reduction: Experts confirm that by donating blood we can burn nearly 600 calories without even doing exercise though to burn more and keep your body more healthy there is need for exercise.
4. A chance to save lives : donating blood means you are saving someone else’s life and also the life of those that depends on such person because there are times some people might a even have money to buy blood from the blood bank but their blood group might not be available.
5. Free medical check up: By donating regularly you stand a chance for free medical check up because your blood will be screened before being kept in the blood bank and this will give you up-to-date knowledge about your health status.
With all these being said, please let’s try to become a volunteer blood donor and not ask for money let’s see it as a way of contributing positively to the health of the citizen’s of our country ” IF WE DON’T HELP OURSELVES WHO WILL?”. Men are encouraged to donate blood every 3months and women every 4 months, please let’s have a positive attitude towards blood donation. Remember you are also benefiting by helping save others lives.