CCT adjourns Onnoghen’s trial to February 13

0
562

The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) has adjourned to February 13, the trial of suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Walter Onnoghen.

The adjournment was announced after the tribunal came back from its 30 minutes stand down following a heated argument between the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar and Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), counsel to Onnoghen.

Umar had accused Awomolo of deploying delay tactics in asking for an adjournment. Awomolo responded that he took exception to the accusation.

Awomolo however, apologized to the tribunal for his outburst.

“What happened few minutes ago is an unfortunate one. I am sorry if the chairman felt I did not treat the bench well. There are times when tempers will rise, but I ask for forgiveness,” he said.

The member 1 of the tribunal, William Atedze also tendered apology on behalf of the tribunal.

He said: “We are in a learning process. You know the pressure with what is happening in the country now. We plead that you continue to excercise patience. On behalf of the chairman and both of us, we equally want to apologise for what happened. We assure you it will not repeat itself again.”

The tribunal chairman thereafter, said he had conceded to adjourn the matter at the instance of the prosecution and defence.

He however, added that “The presence of the defendant is needed here. Before he can make any application, he must first take his plea. There are many decisions of the Supreme Court to this effect.

“I appeal to the defence team to ensure the defendant is present at the next meeting.”

The prosecution counsel, Aliyu Umar (SAN) had earlier noted that if the defendant does not appear at the next sitting, he would be forced to asked for the appropriate orders to compel his presence.

SHARE
Previous articleOpposition plots to discredit 2019 poll, says FG
Next articleCBN reject reports of naira/dollar exchange rate racketeering
Samson Gbenga Salau [Editorial Board Adviser] Gbenga Samuel Salau is a professional journalist with over 17 years experience in journalism, he is a graduate of Communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan. On completion of his youth service, he joined The Guardian as a freelance journalist and was later absorbed as a staff. While in the University, he was a campus journalist reporting for the Independence Hall and Faculty of Arts Press Clubs. As a campus journalist, he won the following awards; Independence Hall Press Best News writer; University of Ibadan Union of Campus Journalists’ Best News Reporter/Writer; First Runner-up, Reuben Abati Award for Investigative Journalism; Association of Faculty of Arts Students’ Press Best Reporter; University of Ibadan Union of Campus Journalists’ Best Political Writer; Winner, Reuben Abati Award for Investigative Journalism, and University of Ibadan Union of Campus Journalists’ Best Interviewer. He served the Association of Communication and Language Arts Students, as the Public Relation Officer, the same year he was appointed the News Editor of the Association of Faculty of Arts Students Press. The following session, he was made the General Editor, and a member of the 13-man University of Ibadan Students’ Union Transition Committee. As a reporter in The Guardian, in 2014, he won the Promasidor Quill Award Best Report on Nutrition and DAME Business Reporting category. In the 2015 edition of the Promasidor Quill Award, he won the best Report on Nutrition and Brand Advocate Categories, while in 2016, he won the NMMA Print Journalist of the Year, first runner-up Golden Pen Reporter of the Year and SERAs CSR Awards. Gbenga Salau loves traveling, reading, and listening to songs with good lyrics no matter the genre.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.