The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved a sum of N206 billion for an 11.9km link road and associated infrastructure for the Second Niger Bridge linking Asaba in Delta State and Onitsha in Anambra State.
The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, told State House reporters that the approval was sequel to a memo presented by the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola.
Mohammed stated that the contract was awarded to Julius Berger plc.
He said the project, conceived by the last administration under a Private-Public Partnership arrangement failed; hence the reason Buhari’s government took over it.
“Approved today (Wednesday) is the contract for the link road and associated infrastructure for the second Niger Bridge. If you remember, this time last week, I was in Onitsha and Asaba inspecting the second Niger Bridge.
“Today (Wednesday), the FEC has now approved the award of the link road, the bridge itself is just 1.95metres, but the link road is 11.9km and this contract was awarded to Julius Berger for the sum of N206 billion. It will include not just the link road, but also associated infrastructure, and you know this bridge is linking Anambra and Delta states.
“Remember that the project was conceived by the last administration under a PPP arrangement which failed and that is why the federal government had to take over this contract.
“So far, about N14bn had been paid to contractors handling the bridge and the contract today that was awarded is for the link and associated infrastructure that will link the bridge,” the minister said.
He said the council also approved N11.558 billion for the “re-award” of the contract for the rehabilitation of the Oji- Achi- Mmaku-Awgu- Ndeabor Road in Enugu State.
Mohammed said the contract was awarded to Messr Setraco Nigeria Limited with a completion period of 24 months.
“What happened was that the contract was awarded earlier to a company that failed and Setraco that was given other sections of the road performed and has now been awarded the contract while that of the other contractor has been rescinded,” he explained.