Blatter against use of VAR at Russia 2018

0
403

Former FIFA President Joseph Blatter has spoken out against using video evidence at Russia 2018 World Cup as teething problems continue to trail trials in countries such as Germany.

“You cannot use the World Cup as a guinea pig for such a serious intervention in the game,’’ Blatter said in an interview with Wednesday’s Sport Bild magazine.

Blatter, 81, was banned from football for eight years in 2015 by the FIFA ethics committee over a “disloyal payment” of 2 million Swiss francs (2.07 million dollars).

The payment was made to former European football chief Michel Platini.

The FIFA appeals committee later reduced the suspension to six years, while Platini is serving a four-year ban.

Read Also: Blatter joins Russia World Cup train

Blatter’s administration was sceptical of technological innovations during his 17 years as president of the world governing body.

But he finally advocated goalline technology for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after refereeing errors four years earlier in South Africa.

“It would be wrong to use video evidence in Russia, it is too immature and many countries still use it differently,’’he said.

(dpa/NAN)

SHARE
Previous articleMega rally showed APC is insensitive to Nigerians’ plight – PDP
Next articleS.Africa’s rand slumps to 2-week low after ANC says no discussions on early Zuma exit
Godwin Okafor is a financial journalist, Internet Social Entrepreneur and the Founder Naija247news Media Ltd He has over 16 experiences in journalism, which cuts across traditional and digital media. He started his journalism career in Business Day, Where he was a senior editorial graphic artist, before he left to start Naija247news, An Online Financial Newspaper in 2010. He has won series of awards and he is the chairman of Emmerich Resources Limited, the publisher of Naija247news.com and also sits on the board of Students In Business Awards, (SIBA).

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here