South Africa’s Thabo Mbeki condemns spate of attacks on Nigerians, African immigrants

0
767

Former South Africa president Thabo Mbeki, has expressed concern over violent attacks targeted at African migrants in the country.

The former president, who was inaugurated Monday, as newly elected chancellor of the University of South Africa, said he was worried about reports he had read of the anti-immigration march which took place in the country’s capital city last week.

“Those who organise and participate in these attacks, which must stop, must know there is absolutely nothing revolutionary, progressive or patriotic, acceptable or of service to the people in what are in fact criminal activities,” said Mbeki.

He said South Africans should never forget the role other African countries played in the country’s struggle for liberation.

Last week, the Tshwane city centre was brought to a standstill as a group from Mamelodi marched to the Department of Home Affairs, while another group from Attridgeville also held demonstrations which left a trail of destruction.

Some protesters, who were carrying traditional weapons, looted foreign-owned shops. Police had to intervene in order to prevent clashes between the group and foreign nationals.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.