ABUJA, Nigeria–(NAIJA247NEWS)–Azuri is delighted to announce a partnership with the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) to launch its PayGo Solar Home Systems in Nigeria, to deliver affordable, clean energy to 20,000 rural households living without electricity.
Azuri’s PayGo Solar Home systems include four bulbs providing up to 8 hours of lighting, a radio and a USB port for charging mobile phones. Customers pay for the service via mobile money for 36 months after which time the unit can be unlocked and the customer owns the unit.
NDPHC is a government-funded initiative formed to add new capacity to Nigeria’s electricity supply system. Azuri’s partnership with NDPHC highlights the Government’s efforts to support roll out of off-grid solar systems and its commitment to renewable technologies as a sustainable way to generate electricity for rural communities.
The Nigerian Government’s ambitious Renewable Energy Policy aims to increase energy production from renewable energy sources from 13% of total electricity generation in 2015, to 23% in 2025 and 36% in 2030. This includes the goal to increase the percentage contribution of solar energy in the total energy mix.
The initial deployment of solar power to 20,000 households is expected to create 500 direct jobs, including solar installer and agents and 5,000 indirect jobs. Following this launch, NDPHC through the project plans to start a phased rollout in northern Nigeria, followed by a nationwide deployment, targeting the 70m Nigerians living in off-grid communities with clean, sustainable and reliable solar home solutions.
Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, said: “Nigeria is committed to improve accessibility to power, especially solar power for the people.”
“Let me state at this point that NDPHC is actively involved in the presidential initiative on rural solar home lighting systems where 20,000 units of solar home systems in under-served rural areas with no access to grid electricity supply is being implemented,” Managing Director of NDPHC, Mr. Chiedu Ugbo said.
“Nigeria’s commitment to increasing its renewable energy mix marks an opportunity for a reliable solar alternative to address the challenges of energy access,” Azuri CEO Simon Bransfield-Garth said. “Azuri is delighted to be working with NDPHC and the Government of Nigeria for solar home systems to meet the immediate power requirements of rural communities.”