Petrol fire burns 3 chilldren in Nsukka

Nsukka – Three children of the same parents narrowly escaped death on Saturday in Nsukka, Enugu State, as petrol mistaken for kerosene exploded into a fire.
The children, born to Mr Richard Igweabunwa of No. 216, Enugu Road, are now receiving treatment at Nsukka Medical Clinic for burns resulting from the explosion.
The explosion occured around 7.48 p.m., an eyewitness said.
The eyewitness who pleaded anonymity said on Sunday that the explosion occurred when a house help mistakenly poured petrol into a kerosene stove, resulting in the explosion.
It was learnt that the neighhbourhood was thrown into confusion as people ran in different directions, mistaking the explosion for a bomb blast.
“The affected children are between five and 12 years.
“Amarachi, the house help poured fuel into a kerosene stove with the three children around her.
“The explosion made people to run in different directions trying to escape from the danger.
“In fact, what we all had in our minds when we were running was that it was a bomb explosion,” the witness added.
“The parents of the children were at Ogige Main Market, Nsukka, when the incident occurred and it was neighbours that rushed them to hospital,” the witness said.
Efforts to see the children in hospital was disallowed by the hospital management, but an official said they were responding to treatment.
The father of the children said  that he was grateful to God and the neighbours for their effort in limiting the effect of the incident.
“I would have lost five members of my family at once. I’m in pains given the degree of the burns they received and what they are going through now.
“It could have been worse, if five of them were together when it happened but only three were seriously affected,” Igweabunwa, who hails from Imo, added. (NAN)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.