Two killed as sect strikes in Borno, Kano


Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Two persons were last night shot dead in a house at Ummarari ward in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
Also last night, there were explosions in the metropolis, after which the Gamboru market went up in flames.
It was gathered that the assailants stormed the house and headed straight for the apartments of their targets and shot them dead.
A family friend to one of the deceased, who spoke to reporters, said: “The other occupants of the house had fled before we got there this morning (Monday) but somebody told us that the gunmen came at about 10pm in the night when everybody was fast asleep. They said the killers went to the first target, an Ebira man named Dele, from Kogi State, since his apartment was closer to the main entrance leading to the house. They then headed for Mr Ore’s room and shot him too. I am just coming from the place and as I am talking to you now, Ore’s body is still lying on the floor in front of his room.”
It was gathered that the late Ore, from Kabba in Kogi State, was planning to relocate to his home town before he was killed. “He initially refused to relocate with his family last year but his younger brother wanted him to leave Maiduguri at all cost. He was said to have promised him money this week so that he could park his belongings. Unfortunately, we have informed the brother now that the man has been killed,” the family member said.
Police spokesman Samuel Tizhe said the command had not received the report of the killings. The Joint Task Force (JTF) could not also comment as at the time of filing this report.
Following the multiple explosions, residents were thrown into anxiety as people within the Gamboru Market around the Custom area ran for dear lives.
Thick, dark smoke billowed in the sky. Sources said the explosion, which occurred at about 4pm, might have been planted in a drainage. But an official of the JTF, who would not want to be quoted, said the billowing smoke was caused by an electric machine gutted by fire.
Some hoodlums suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect yesterday in Kano attacked a police station.
An eye witness, who described the attack as “serious”, said the gang stormed the Sharada police station on motorcycles and vehicles.
Residents said they heard gunmen shooting and shouting “Allahu Akbar”. There was an exchange of gunshots with policemen at the station.
The gunmen, according to an eyewitness, stormed the police station at about 6.45pm when residents were rushing to beat the curfew imposed on the city.
Police authorities confirmed that there was an attack on the station but that the military and the police overpowered members of the sect, making it impossible for them to bomb the police station.
“The prompt action of our men made the sect members to flee as they were promptly overpowered.”
Police Commissioner Ibrahim Idris could not be reached for comments.
There was no confirmation of any death.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.