Boko Haram Attacked Us With Suicide Mission, Used 50 liters of IEDs – Nigerian Army


By SaharaReporters, New York

The army authorities at the 1st Division Nigerian Army, Kaduna, says that the Boko Haram suicide bombers that attacked the Nigerian Army base today waged the attack with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) concealed in a 50 liter container.

The army’s statement, “Failed Suicide Attack on Headquarters 1 Division Nigerian Army,” which has just been issued, confirms Saharareporters story earlier today that the attack was carried out by suicide bombers.

In the statement, signed by the Assistant Director in charge of Army Public Relations, Lt.Col. Abubaka Edun, the Army stated the sequence of events as follows, “At about 1218pm on Tuesday 7th February 2012, a failed suicide bomb attempt was made on the Headquarters Complex of 1 Division Nigerian Army Kawo, Kaduna. The 2 suicide bombers came in two vehicles, a Sienna Toyota Space Bus and a Honda Accord. The drivers of the two vehicles overran the security post and the lawn leading to the Headquarters complex. One of the vehicles (Toyota Sienna Space Bus) exploded by the Car Park directly in front of the Headquarters, when a soldier opened fire on the car after the attacker refused to stop which made him loose control of the vehicle.

“The second vehicle which did not explode (Honda Accord) was loaded with 10 numbers of 20 liters of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), 4 numbers of 30 liters loaded with IEDs and 2 numbers of large peak milk containers also loaded with IEDs. The suicide bomber in the Toyota Sienna Space Bus died in the attempt, while there was no casualty on the part of (our) own troops.”

The statement did not reveal the nature of attacks on the Airforce base and the flyover in front of the army base. Also, the army authorities did not provide to our sources further information, videos or photos relating to the attack.

It would be recalled that soldiers at the 1st Mechanized Division were involved in the arrest of suspected Boko Haram sponsor and arms dealer, Nuhu Mohammed and his son, both accused of aiding the Muslim militant group in Kaduna.  They have remained in detention within the army base from where they have made their court appearances.
It is not known if the objective of today’s heavy assault was to free them from detention.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.