Kaduna State Government on Wednesday said it would punish those circulating false images of crisis victims on social media platforms aimed at inciting people to violence in the state.
The government spokesman, Samuel Aruwan said at a news briefing in Kaduna that the decision was taken at the end of the State Security Council Meeting.
He said that the meeting had appraised security situation in Birnin Gwari, Southern Kaduna, Kaduna-Abuja Road and Zaria-Kubau-Giwa axis, and adopted plans to enhance security in the areas.
The spokesman said the meeting was particularly concerned over the massive circulation of disturbing images of dead bodies and injured victims of the recent violence in Kajuru Local Government Area.
“It is clear, that those circulating these inciting images are hell-bent on deepening the unfortunate incident that occurred last month.
“The security council condemned the ongoing circulation of the call-to-revenge images and warned those engaging in the act to desist.
“Anyone found will not be spared and will be prosecuted accordingly without fear or favour.”
According to him, some of those involved in the Kajuru killings had been arrested, with some being prosecuted while security agencies are close to making more arrests.
He urged families of victims to ignore those wishing to incite more violence, assuring them that the administration would not spare those involved.
“While Kaduna state government is involved in multi-dimensional approach towards mediation and peace building, the governor wishes to appeal to the affected communities to resist appeals for reprisals and also refrain from taking laws into their hands.
“Furthermore, the government wishes to reiterate, that no one found complicit in the Kajuru killings of last month will be spared.
“The ongoing prosecution is a testament to the will to ensure justice and rights in the state, therefore, resort to self-help or jungle justice breeds nothing but a vicious cycle of bloodletting and desecration of human life.”