Nigeria Will ‘Redouble’ Its Efforts to Bring Back Rest of Chibok Girls – Buhari

Nigeria will double down in its efforts to bring home the rest of the more than 200 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram in the northeastern town of Chibok in 2014, President Muhammadu Buhari said on Wednesday.

“We shall redouble our efforts to bring the rest back home,” Buhari said while meeting 21 Chibok girls which were released by Boko Haram last week after talks with the government brokered by Switzerland and the International Red Cross.

Naija247news last week reported that Boko Haram insurgents, Thursday morning, handed 21 out of the 276 missing Chibok schoolgirls to the Nigerian government.

The girls, whose names are not readily available, remain in Maiduguri, the source added. recalled that the militants abducted the 276 girls out of bed at a school in Chibok in northern Nigeria in April 2014.

Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, said the girls were in the custody of the State Security Service, SSS.

“It is confirmed that 21 of the missing Chibok Girls have been released and are in the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS,” he tweeted Thursday.

The extremist militant group kidnapped nearly 300 female students from a secondary school in Chibok on April 14, 2014, provoking international outrage.

More than 50 managed to escape on the day they were captured.

Since then, there has only been one confirmed release since then. In May, 19-year-old Amina Nkeki was found carrying by the Civilian JTF.

Dozens escaped in the initial melee, but more than 200 girls are still missing. The kidnapping prompted outrage worldwide and the girls’ plight was publicised using a Twitter hashtag, #bringbackourgirls.

“It is the first step in what we believe will be the release of all the girls,” Information Minister Lai Mohammed told reporters.

He denied reports that the government had swapped Boko Haram fighters for their release and said he was not aware if any ransom had been paid. He said a Nigerian army operation against Boko Haram would continue.

The girls were released at 5.30 a.m. and will be taken to the capital Abuja during the afternoon to meet doctors and psychologists, Mohammed said.

The Swiss government “facilitated contacts between representatives of the Nigerian government and intermediaries of Boko Haram” after a request from Abuja, a spokeswoman said in a statement.

“We have nothing to add,” she said, when asked if it had been a prisoner swap.

CNN published a picture on its website it said showed several of the freed girls, wearing veils and being escorted by soldiers in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state.

Authorities said in May one of the missing girls had been found and President Muhammadu Buhari promised to rescue the others.

In the past days, the Nigerian military has been carrying out a large-scale offensive in the Sambisa forest, a stronghold of Boko Haram, which last year pledged loyalty to the Islamic State militant group.

Boko Haram controlled a swathe of land around the size of Belgium at the start of 2015, but Nigeria’s army, aided by troops from neighbouring countries, has recaptured most of the territory. The group still stages suicide bombings in the northeast, as well as in neighbouring Niger and Cameroon.

Boko Haram published a video in August apparently showing recent footage of dozens of the kidnapped girls and said some had been killed in air strikes.

The militant group has kidnapped hundreds of men, women and children but the kidnapping of the Chibok girls brought it worldwide attention.

In the last few months Buhari has said his government was prepared to negotiate with Boko Haram over the release of the girls.


About the Author

Leave A Response

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.